Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Abide in Me


After reading Susan's post about Andrew Murray's On Prayer, I "ran" to half.com and got myself a copy. I started reading it and realized that Andrew Murray writes in the form of a daily devotional. On Prayer is a compilation of 6 books. The first is called "Abide in Christ." I have been greatly blessed by this book and I am only on chapter 7. Each chapter is so wonderful that I have been reading and rereading them and meditating on each one and the verses he talks about. I wanted to share some of what I read today....(the italics are mine)


Murray starts Chapter 6 out with 1 Corinthians 1:30
Of [God] are ye in Christ Jesus, who was made unto us wisdom from God, both righteousness and sanctification, and redemption.


"The whole Christian life depends on the clear consciousness of our position in Christ. Most essential to the abiding in Christ is the daily renewal of our faith's assurance, 'I am in Christ Jesus.' All fruitful preaching to believers must take this as its starting point:'Ye [are] in Christ Jesus."


"The same love and delight with which the Father watched over the beloved Son Himself, watch over ever member of His body, everyone who is in Christ Jesus. What confident trust this faith inspires, not only as to the being kept in safety to the end, but also especially as to the being able to fulfill in every point the object for which I have been united to Christ."


"The God who has chosen me and planted me in Christ has thereby engaged to secure, if I will but let Him, by yielding myself to Him, that I in every way be worthy of Jesus Christ. ... How it would quicken the sense of dependence and make me see that praying without ceasing is indeed the one need of my life - an unceasing waiting, moment by moment, on the God who has united me to Christ, to perfect His own divine work, to work in me both to will and to do of His good pleasure. "


"Would to God that believers would cease looking most at their old natures, and complaining of their weaknesses, as if God called them to what they were unfitted for!"


"From eternity Christ and I were ordained for each other; inseparably we belong to each other. It is God's will; I will abide in Christ. It is of God I am in Christ Jesus."
Hallelujah!That makes me want to dance. :-)


1 comment:

Susan said...

YEAH :o) You will LOVE this book. It helped me so much.
Susan