Saturday, April 28, 2007

Organizational Challenge - Garage


Today was my first day since starting this challenge where I had a chance to spend a lot of time on my garage. I had hoped to get started earlier in the month, but didn't have anyone to hold Ethan and/or help me. Michael actually had the WHOLE day off today (he usually works 1/2 days on Saturdays) so he was able to help me and Brittany took care of the babies. We took the car out and I took today's "before pics." (These were slightly better than the before pics from the last two posts on this subject since I had a chance to do a little decluttering and we threw out the toilet.









































We discussed where we wanted everything to go when we were done. We then took almost everything out of the garage and put it in piles outside.




We had a giveaway/sale pile:





Kid's Toy pile:






Auto pile:






Gardening pile:






Garbage pile:






Stuff to go in the cars pile:






Stuff to go in the house pile:








Projects that need to be done pile:






And here is the pic of the garage cleaned out:



After we cleaned everything out we discussed what we wanted to go where. It was nice to see the piles and be able to see what would actually fit where. We had to rearrange our ideas a little, after we saw how much/little we had of each thing. We also changed our mind about where the garbage was going to be kept, so that moved everything (in our mental blueprint) around.

At this point, we ran out of time for the day which was quite discouraging!! We put everything back in the garage (keeping stuff in the same piles) and we will finish it tomorrow.... I can't wait!


As a side note, I don't think we will need to purchase anything for the garage which is great! We had a few empty tubs that I bought when they were on sale and, other than those, I think everything else is fine! By making some decisions (like hubby's car would NOT be in garage -- he is buying a new truck in a two months that won't fit in the garage anyway) we were able to use what we already have instead of having to buy anything. I would like a wireless entry but we will have to wait on that until we budget that money in.




***********************************************************************************
updated for end of Organizational Challenge
***********************************************************************************


Well I wasn't able to work on the garage Sunday. On Tuesday, I ended up inviting my mother in law over to hold Ethan and I finished up.



Here are the final photos:


















1. What was the hardest part of the challenge for you and were you able to overcome it?
The hardest part of the challenge was finding time to do this. I knew it would be a big project and I didn't have a big block of time. I am a person who likes to get something all done at once. I am not as good at working on things little by little. I also knew it would be easier if I could do it in one (or two) big blocks so that I didn't have to keep moving things in and out. (which I did have to do once) My hubby had an unexpected day off and we were able to take care of most of it that day. It was a pain to put it back in and not finish the project, but it was certainly something I overcame! After coming back to it on Tuesday and it only taking another hour or so, I came to appreciate breaking up a large project a little bit more.


2. Tell us what kind of changes/habits you have put into place in order for your area/room to maintain its new order?
The biggest change I put into place is I put tape on the ground and made "areas" for like minded items. I have a garbage area and a toy area. I even labelled the tape in the toy area so they would know where each item went. However, even if the kids just got the toys within the taped area I'd be happy (shhhh don't tell them!). I also created a project bucket on the workbench so that the projects weren't just scattered all over the place. I labelled the workbench so each tool would have a home. I put a trash can with a liner near the car, so we can empty the car each time we get home and that trash will actually make it into a BAG. WOOHOO! I also cleared off the toybench (next to the freezer) to be able to use it as a landing zone for items we need to leave with.

3. What did you do with the "stuff" you were able to purge out of your newly organized space?
Most of it was trash. I can't believe how much trash we were storing!! We donated some to Prevent Blindness (who just happened to call in the midst of this challenge). The rest of the items went into the house or attic where they belonged.

4. What was the biggest lesson you learned from this experience?
That I need defined spaces with LIMITS for like minded items. Also, to have readily accessible trash receptacles. (say that 3 times fast)

5. Now that you have completed the PROCESS, do you think having and keeping your space organized will make a difference in your life?
Oh yes!! I am already THRILLED with the results. Leaving and coming home are so much less stressful with clear, clean paths and an orderly looking garage. When the cat got loose in the garage last night it was so easy to get her (she has nowhere to hide now!) and finding what I need is not a problem. I love having everything I need at my fingertips in pre-defined, labelled spots. I am much less stressed in general when things are decluttered and organized...so thank you sooo much for this challenge! I am SO happy to have this BEHEMOTH off of my back!

11 comments:

The Zandi Zoo said...

WOW! Good for you guys!!!

Trella said...

Wonderful job and isn't a wonderful feeling. It is also nice when you realize you won't need to buy stuff to organize, you already have what you need.
Have a great day,
Trella

Amelia Antwiler said...

It sounds trite...but it really is the only word that makes sense.

Wow.

Congratulations!

Megan said...

Yay! That looks great and you did a great job. Well done!

The Zandi Zoo said...

I like the taped off areas. Great idea.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

WOW! It looks great! And you could even get CARS in it!
Dividing up the garage into certain areas was brilliant.

Robin said...

Congratulations on completing the challenge. Your garage looks great. Well done.

Anonymous said...

I can't see the final pics :( but I can see how much work you put into it! I don't have a garage, but if I did... it would look exactly like your before pictures!! :)

Great work!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I'm sure it feels great to have everything in its place. I can't see the final pics either.

Anonymous said...

I can't see the final pics either! But I love how you showed the piles you sorted everything into! What a great idea!

Jenny said...

My favorite is that you sectioned off where everything goes, and labelled it. Now your kids have no excuse to leave their stuff out! I need to do that in my garage.