Friday, April 27, 2007

And The Shofar Blew - Book Review


I read this book by Francine Rivers a few years ago and had listed it as one of my favorites ever since. Because I could no longer remember the particulars of it, I thought it was time for me to read it again.

The book covers many years of a couple's life. It starts when they have a young son and the husband is called to pastor a dying church across the country. The book follows the family all the way through the son turning into a young man and going into college. I don't want to tell you too much more about the book because I don't want to give anything away.

Although I would no longer list this book as one of my favorites, I can still see what drew me to it. The characters, for the most part, are very real and, although most are Godly, they are all flawed. The prayers are written very poignantly and it is easy to imagine yourself in many of their shoes. Rivers writes the book very well and really lets you see inside the characters and feel what they do. I found myself almost over-identifying with some of them and had to remind myself not to let their emotions carry into my life. While that really makes the writing come alive, I need to find books that I don't get so emotionally invested in!

My only dislike of the book is that the pastor's wife seems almost too good to be true. Although she is not perfect, she really borders on it and I found myself having problems believing in her. I couldn't decide if I wanted to be more like her or if I felt sorry for her (and maybe even a touch of disdain). Perhaps I am being too hard on her, you will have to read it and let me know your opinion!

All in all it is a good read and I do recommend it.

4 comments:

Trella said...

I will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Oooooo....you're redecorating too!!! Love it!

I LOVE the graphic at the top! How did you get that in there?

Our Family said...

The book sounds interesting Kahri. I really like the redecorating you have done on your blog. Adding the pictures of your family on the side is really neat too. Good job! ~Kim

fsatat said...

I think this book is one of her best. It speaks to what we see a lof of in our churches today. Initially the man was trying to answer the call with a genuine heart of humility and dependence on God. As he became successful and gained favor with man he began to walk in his own vision and not lean on the strength of the Lord as we all can so easily do. He didn't start out bad. Don't we see this a lot? His wife who just wants her family to work and doesn't want to expose her husband ends up being the classic enabler. Not wanting to face embaracement and fear of the future. Eventually she does take a stand. I think every pastor and wife should read this book. I also think it tells us as the body of Christ we should diligently pray for our leaders and their families.

FSATAT