Friday, April 13, 2007

30 Day Organizational Challenge Part 2




I got to work on the Spring Organizational Challenge today. I chose to work on my Small Room/ Area which is under the kitchen sink.

First Emily and I took everything out from under the sink.



Then we threw out what we didn't want anymore, put away the stuff that went somewhere else (how on earth did a cinderella wand get down there???), organized all the cleaners into categories and went up to my attic and got containers that I had on hand. I decided not to put shelves down there because it is an odd shaped cabinet and it has the disposal hanging down and all the pipes.

I made 4 containers: furniture stuff, carpet cleaning stuff, general cleaning and sponges/gloves. I made labels for them all and also my all purpose cleaner.



Just as a reminder, here was my before picture:



And here is what it looks like now:







Updated to finish off challenge:

1. What was the hardest part of the challenge for you and were you able to overcome it?
Just making time to do it. It seemed like it would be a fairly easy thing to organize and clean, I just needed to find the time. Having a baby less than 3 months old made it a bit difficult, but we figured it out.

2. Tell us what kind of changes/habits you have put into place in order for your area/room to maintain its new order?
I labelled the containers so that stuff can be put back in the correct place. The biggest change is I have added "check under counter" to my nighttime routine. Now I check the cabinet before bed and if anything is not in the container, I can quickly put it in there before everything gets out of control.

3. What did you do with the "stuff" you were able to purge out of your newly organized space?
Most of it was trash. Some of the things went to new locations..like the car cleaner stuff went to the garage and the wipes for the bathroom actually made it to the bathroom. And of course the Cinderella wand....that got put with all the royal treasures. ;-)


4. What was the biggest lesson you learned from this experience?
To keep up with it. There is not much down there but it can get out of control when it is not kept up. By keeping up with it daily, I don't have as much to do and can find everything much quicker.


5. Now that you have completed the PROCESS, do you think having and keeping your space organized will make a difference in your life?
Definitely!! Any organized area in my life makes a little piece of stree-free life for me! I love seeing the results. I LOVE to open the cabinet now and see the labelled containers and the organized look. It soooothes me. (don't worry, I do realize I am pathetic!)



7 comments:

The Zandi Zoo said...

Looks GREAT!!!!!
LOVE the labels!!! I am a big time label lady. LOVE, LOVE the labels!! Oooh, and bins too!!!
YAY!!!

Anonymous said...

So did the new toilet fix the problem? Is it all better now? ~Kim B.

Laura said...

Removing, sorting, purging, containerizing and labelling!!! Way to go!!! You've definitely got it going on!!!

Way to go!
Laura

Ruth said...

That looks great!! I need to do that in every room and in every closet. Maybe this summer...

Norma said...

I'm always surprised to see all the chemicals mommy's keep on hand. I should go take a look at mine, and head for the toxic waste dump. Good luck on the organization.

http://collectingmythoughts.blogspot.com/2007/04/3702-vpl-flaunt-it-other-day-i-wrote.html

*Tanyetta* said...

perfect. i loveit :)

Anonymous said...

Looks good. I like the use of the labels for your different types of cleaners.