Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Country Vegetable Pies

I hope you all had a great Christmas!! What a blessing to have Kaedra Noelle home with us this year. I kept thinking it was "Baby's first Christmas," which, to us, it was! :-) We did things differently this year, but my favorite part was going to church on Christmas morning. I wish we had church EVERY Christmas morning! We took Kaedy to church with us, too, and it was wonderful. It was a prayer answered, to have her there, with her church family, able to sit through a service. (well, just barely, she was SOOO wiggly and busy!)

My parents are in Hawaii on a cruise and it was a little odd not talking to them on Christmas (they were in the middle of the ocean, away from phone service on Christmas day). On top of that, we have been talking more regularly now, so I have missed them while they have been "out of pocket."

I tried a new recipe the other night and everyone LOVED it. It was a HUGE hit! I need to type it in for Miss Linda and for my palm pilot cookbook, so I think I will share it with all y'all here!


Country Vegetable Pies
Yield: 2 pies to serve 6-8

2 prepared pie crusts
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
4 cups frozen vegetable mixture
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water to make an egg wash

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. LIne two baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with non stick coating.
2. Place 1 piecrust on each baking sheet.
3. Beat together the cheeses. Spread half on each piecrust, leaving a 2 inch border of dough.
4. Todd the vegetables with the vegetable oil, basil, salt and pepper.
Place half the vegetables on each crust, covering the cheese mixture.
5. Fold up the edges of the dough, partially covering the filling. Press the edges together to hold them in place.
6. Use a pastry brush to cover dough with egg wash.
7. Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.

(I messed with the recipe a lot. I added chopped ham, used olive oil (instead of veg oil), used italian seasoning (instead of basil), used garlic salt (instead of salt) and didn't do the egg wash. You can use any kind of veggies and add any kind of meat. Michael also wants to try it with cheddar instead of swiss.)

No comments: