Saturday, November 15, 2008

Pumpkin Spice Muffins Saga

I had a can of Pumpkin Pie Mix in my pantry and I really wanted some Pumpkin Muffins this morning. Seemed like an easy enough deal.

So I start searching on the web for Pumpkin Pie Mix + Muffins. Hmmmmmm. Harder than I thought. Especially since a lot of the recipes I found said NOT "pumpkin pie mix."

I found a great looking recipe for Pumpkin Oat Muffins but it was a vegan recipe and I didn't have any of the special ingredients and didn't want to keep finding substitutes. I did find a recipe that said you could mix Pumpkin Pie Mix and Spice Cake to make muffins. I knew we didn't have any spice cake mix, so I kept looking. Another recipe I found (on the Libby's site) sounded great but needed baking mix. I only have 1 cup of baking mix at the moment. I also found substitutions for baking mix but didn't want to use ALL my flour for making the baking mix! Apparently you have to make baking mix in large quantities.

Not one to give up, but also not one to waste ingredients by trying to create things that might not work, I kept looking. Nada. Nothing. Okay, back to my pantry. Maybe I had some pumpkin hidden somewhere. nope. WAIT. Is that Spice Cake??? Where on Earth did I get spice cake? And Why? Okay, who cares, back to the 'net. Let's find that recipe again.

Guess what. Yup, couldn't find it.

Okay, there has GOT to be a recipe on here with pumpkin pie mix and spice cake. I eventually found one. I did. I actually found several. I decided on one I liked but still had to substitute things and I ended up combining a few different recipes. The batter was delicious. I mean, take a spoon and eat it all up delicious. (not really a good idea with raw eggs, I know) Luckily, the baked muffins were just as good. :-)

So, here is my made-up, spliced together, substituted recipe.


1 box of spice cake
1 30oz can Pumpkin Pie Mix
1 3.4 oz box butterscotch pudding
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla flavoring
2 tbs. sour cream
1/2 c. veg. oil
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
brown sugar

Mix cake mix, pudding and pumpkin pie spice. In separate bowl mix pumpkin pie mix, sour cream, eggs, vanilla, and oil. Combine the two mixes and stir until well mixed. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. If desired, sprinkle tops with brown sugar. For small muffins bake in a 350 degree oven for approx 25 minutes. For large muffins bake in a 350 degree oven for approx 30-35 min. (or until toothpick comes out clean)

Yummy!!!
Got lots of oohs and aaahs.
We will definitely be making this one again.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Just curious how much time all this took you? The combination of spice cake and pumpkin sounds really good so I'm glad you stayed on the chase!!

I'm making applesauce. I bought a bag of granny smith and a bag of delicious. Pealed & sliced 4 of each to make my crockpot recipe and still have apples left :o)
Susan

The Zandi Zoo said...

YUMMMMMMMMMMM I bet your house smells so good right now! We will be making this one.